Friday, May 13, 2011

Mao’s Last Dancer

          I didn’t get to choose movies for last night, so when I showed up in the living room, the movie has already started. Apparently, marriage gives wisdom to a man. My husband has come to an understanding that he will never get his way (maybe sometimes) if he always played gentleman. Last night was a great presentation. Oddly, I didn’t complain either. David has been talking about watching this movie for a while, but I didn’t want to. Based on my impression and experience, I assumed that this movie was like any other movies mocking and humiliating the big leader in my country. Someone did make some smart comment on the big leader in this movie. Nothing major, he just simply twisted his last name into a cat’s yawn, which I think it is pretty funny.
       This movie reminded me quite bit of China. I don’t watch too many Chinese movies or TV shows here, except some effort-less pop culture stuff. The little boy’s face brought me back to my time in elementary school. Of course, nothing was as harsh as his environment , but I still wore the little red triangle around my neck every day, and I sat by my desk in the classroom with my arms folded like this too
.
       Such a small person with the firm belief and love for his country never had any idea that he would be given the chance to discover his own heart, most importantly, the opportunity to find his life and define himself as a person with free will! He went through unbearable turmoil for his decision, and his family back in the rural area in China certainly tasted the punishment of the “misplacement” of the priority of the country, even though they had nothing to do with it. He pursued his dream, and he peaked. According to the movie, his family was hanging there without complaining about his decisions. Finally, his parents got to come to Houston, TX to watch him dance. The moment he found that familiar face of his mother, he was stunned! He moved his eyes away because he didn’t believe it was true. It might be just the dreams he has been having for the past 14 years. However, he didn’t wake up this time, instead, the dream started to approach him. Closer and closer, he saw the two teared- up faces standing right there in front of him. The audience started to applaud. Claps and cheers were from everywhere. Our great ballet dancer got down on his knees, weeping silently. When the emotions were calmer, his dad asked sheepishly: why don’t you guys wear a bit more when dance? Can’t say I didn’t see that coming.
          At end of the movie, he and his wife went back to the rural town. To please his mentor who was sent away because his non-communist understanding of art, they started to leap around dancing for them. It is just so great to see them clapping and laughing, probably the only one appreciating the lines and moves is his mentor. I love the scene, and I especially love the very last moment when they stop right there under the flag. the picture for that is this link http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2052948480/tt1071812
         I’m not going to lie, there are a lot of people criticizing him being disloyal to his country, but I, along with many others, believe that only can ideal and loyalty be unified when the basic human respect is paid.
         just have to put a picture of the real person.

1 comment:

  1. I won't ever get my way if I play the gentleman? I guess that's (a little) true, as indicated by the "dishes" incident. But you care about me and look out for me so much, that I'm happy to do it...

    Glad you liked the movie. It's always better to watch one that we both like.

    ReplyDelete